Which Gopro Camera Is Best For Fishing?
Everyone knows the cliche of the angler proudly showing off their latest catch for the camera. But who wouldn’t want to have photographic evidence of their trophy catch?
If you’re a serious fishing enthusiast, a waterproof camera is a must-have item on all of your trips.
Fishing cameras have a tendency to get a little wet when you’re fishing, so making sure your camera is waterproof is a smart choice.
Outdoor and action cameras like those made by GoPro are designed to stand up to rugged use.
In fact, you won’t have to worry about splashing water at all if you stick to the cameras we review below.
That’s because our top choices for best fishing cameras can be used completely submerged underwater without having to worry about damaging electronics and ruining your camera.
GoPro is the big name in waterproof adventure cameras, but there are a few great alternatives if you don’t want to go for the big name brand.
Top Gopro For Fishing Comparison Chart
Best Gopro For Fishing
GoPro has released a range of cameras designed for outdoor use. Of the available options, the HERO 5 might not be the newest, but it’s still a pretty good option that could save you money compared to the latest model
You get plenty of functionality and quality for a good price with this model. It delivers 4K30 video and 12MP images, which you can take in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes. You can choose from a range of intervals when in Time Lapse mode from 0.5 to 60 seconds.
Like all GoPro cameras, the HERO 5 is durable and tough. It’s waterproof to 33ft/10m without housing, and also comes with a housing for extra protection. Stabilization ensures you capture smooth footage and images, whether you’re holding or wearing your camera.
Some of the best features for anglers are the controls. The voice control means you can give your camera directions without having to touch it – ideal if you’re holding up a fish you’ve just caught or are even in the middle of catching it.
When you’re not using the voice control, there’s a one-button control to turn on the camera and start recording, and a touch display for previews and playback. You can send your footage and images to your phone and when you have a GoPro Plus subscription upload it to the cloud too.
Some handy kit comes with this camera, including a couple of different mounts to make it easier to fish and record or take photos at the same time. But there are other options if you’re looking for even more functionality.
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes Charger not included
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page Time Lapse Photo Intervals: 05, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro
- NOTE: Check User Manual on Technical Specification and Instruction video available before use
The GoPro HERO 5 Session shares a number of similarities with the HERO 5, which is to be expected. But there are several differences that you will definitely want to note if you want to decide between the two.
One difference is that the Session camera is a lot smaller. This is because the HERO 5 Black has a touchscreen, but the Session does not.
If you want to check your footage and photos from the camera, this might be a downside for you. Alternatively, the GoPro Hero 5 Session offers an app so you can connect to your smart phone and view footage and photos in real-time.
The smaller size makes the Session a great choice if you don’t want to have lots of extra gear that takes up space. It is a terrific lightweight option for anglers looking to mount the camera on a chest harness or shoulder mount.
The HERO 5 Session still has many of the features that the HERO 5 has. It records in 4K, but the photos it takes are 10MP, instead of 12MP. However, it still gives you the option of the Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes.
There’s advanced video stabilization and voice control, as well as one-button control. It has the same 33ft waterproof capability, and its strong and rugged both with and without its frame.
As a fishing camera, the smaller size of the GoPro Hero 5 Session means you can mount it in lots of places more easily. Whether you choose to mount it on your fishing kayak or even on your fishing rod, it won’t get in the way or take up too much space. It measures only 1.4″ x 1.5″ x 1.5″ and weighs just 4.5 ounces. If you want a small and compact camera for your fishing trips, this one could be for you.
- Durable by design, hero5 session is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro hero5 session features + benefits below on item page. Photos are captured at 10 mp with a 4:3 aspect ratio
- A single press of the shutter button powers the camera on and starts recording automatically
- Refer user manual and installation manual below for software update instructions.Operating System Compatibility: Mac, PC
- Note-make sure your gopro is charged. To charge your camera, use usb cable and a computer or charge device manufactured by gopro. If your camera freezes, press and hold the menu button for about eight seconds until your camera powers off. This reset saves all of your content and settings. The temperature icon and camera too hot appear on the camera status screen when the camera becomes too hot and needs to cool down. Simply let it sit and cool before attempting to use it again. Your camera was designed to identify conditions of overheating and shuts down when needed
The latest GoPro cameras on the market are the HERO 7 range. There’s the Black, Silver, White and Fusion. The HERO 7 Black and the Silver and White are all slightly different, while the Fusion is the most different of all.
The HERO 7 Black still features the same rugged construction, with waterproof capability up to 33ft. But it’s also packed full of new functions if you’re looking for something extra.
This camera has live streaming so that you can stream straight to Facebook Live if you want to, and save your live videos to your SD card.
The 8x slo-mo function allows you to see every action-packed moment if you decide to capture some of your favorite fishing moments. As well as 4K60 video capture and 12MP photos, you get excellent footage with the HyperSmooth video stabilization and crisp photos thanks to SuperPhoto.
TimeWarp Video gives you the ability to capture time-lapse videos as you move, and you can increase the speed by up to 30 times. The intuitive touch screen and voice control make it easy to control your camera, and the photo camera makes it easy for you to set up a shot and then leave your camera to take it.
You can record vertically, connect to the GoPro app and you still get the different photo modes of Single, Burst and Time Lapse to take the perfect photos. If you are looking for the latest and greatest in a fishing camera, you’ve come to the right place.
- HyperSmooth Video Stabilization - Get gimbal-like stabilization-without the gimbal. HERO7 Black predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- Time Warp Video - Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Super Photo - Get the best photos automatically. With Super Photo, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
- Rugged + Waterproof - Share experiences you can't capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33ft (10m) and up for any adventure
- Voice Control - Stay in the moment. Control your HERO7 Black hands-free with voice commands like "GoPro, take a photo" and "GoPro, start recording
The original GoPro HERO is worth considering too. You could save yourself a lot of money, and it still offers excellent functionality for many anglers and fishing enthusiasts.
You might be thinking that you don’t need a lot of the things that the newer models offer. The original HERO still gives you plenty of useful functions.
It’s still waterproof to 33ft, takes 10MP photos and has 1440p60 and 1080p60 video. If you’re not bothered about having super crisp 4K video, you could be pretty happy with this.
The camera has a 2-inch touchscreen, although it’s not an “intuitive” screen like those featured in the newer models. It still has voice control and you can connect to the GoPro app to control the camera remotely too, as well as store your photos on your phone.
As with other GoPro cameras, you can get a GoPro Plus subscription to automatically upload your files to the cloud. You can connect to WiFi and use Bluetooth too, just like with other GoPro cameras.
Some of the things this camera lacks include GPS Performance Stickers, live streaming and TimeWarp video. Plus, of course, the video quality isn’t as good. However, if you’re not looking for the latest cutting-edge technology you might find this camera perfect.
Many anglers would be more than happy with this camera and the functionality it offers. It’s not the most high-tech option, but it still does most of the things that the other GoPro models can do while saving you some cash.
- 2-Inch touch screen - quickly switch between modes, frame The perfect shot and check out your footage on the 2-inch touch screen
- Waterproof + durable - built tough and waterproof down to 33ft (10M), Hero goes where your smartphone can't to capture every adventure with no worries
- Voice control - control your hero hands-free with simple voice commands like "GoPro, Start recording" and "GoPro, take a photo "
- Wi-fi + Bluetooth - connect to the GoPro app to control your camera remotely, check out your shots and share your favorite on the spot
- Auto offload to your phone when connected to the GoPro app - Your footage Moves to the GoPro app which creates fun, Sharable videos for you-automatically.Built-in Battery (1220mAH lithium-ion)
Alternatively, you might not want a GoPro at all. Perhaps if you’re looking for a good fishing camera, you would rather consider an affordable choice from another brand.
The AKASO V50 Pro offers excellent quality, with 4K video recording and 20MP photos. So you get a lot of power for a much lower price if you’re willing to choose a brand that isn’t such a big name in the industry.
In terms of durability, this camera allows you to dive up to 20m/66ft, which is double that of a GoPro. When you turn on the camera’s Diving Mode, it filters out red light underwater to give an even better picture. Of course, you might not be doing much diving while fishing, but it’s great to know that it’s a multipurpose camera if you enjoy doing other water-based activities.
It has image stabilization to keep your images and videos clear and crisp. Control it with the intuitive 2-inch touchscreen, as well as wireless control when you use the app and built-in WiFi.
Another bonus for this camera if you’re looking to capture videos of you fishing is that it supports an external microphone. Maybe you’re looking to record some memories or you could be hoping to film something instructional for your YouTube channel. You can share your pictures and video straight to social media using the app.
This camera gives you good quality for a lower price than a GoPro. Of course, you then don’t get the bragging rights of owning a GoPro, and some people might also prefer a more popular and proven brand. But if you’re looking to save some of your hard-earned coin, the AKASO V50 Pro delivers a lot for a low price.
- SUPERB IMAGE QUALITY: Featuring 4K/30fps and 20MP image, your AKASO V50 Pro action camera can capture every detail of your wonderful outdoor adventures and present an immersive footage of you and your world.
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION: Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with 6-axis gyroscope detects position and motion changes. When the camera tilts, moves, shakes or experiences impact, this action camera can still produce stable videos.
- OPTIONAL VIEW ANGLE: You can adjust the view angle of this action camera according to your needs between Super Wide, Wide, Medium and Narrow. This action camera also has the distortion calibration feature, which offers image distortion improvements.
- BUILT-IN WIFI AND HDMI OUTPUT: Just download App(iSmart Pro+) on your phone or tablet and connect it to this action camera, you can share your wonderful moment on social media instantly. With HDMI Port allows you to connect it to TV.
- FREE VALUABLE ACCESSORIES: This underwater camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1100mAh batteries, chargers and remote control wristband and lots of accessories kits. The kits fit most cameras even Gopro.
Think about what your requirements are for your fishing camera before you buy one. Everyone has different needs, so consider just what you’re looking for in a camera. You might want something more basic or you could be looking for something with all the bells and whistles.